Thursday, May 24, 2018

Tin Man


"This is almost a love story, but it's not as simple as that."

“And I wonder what the sound of a heart breaking might be. And I think it might be quiet, unperceptively so, and not dramatic at all. Like the sound of an exhausted swallow falling gently to earth.”


My initial interest in this book came about after reading early reviews prior to its release. The remainder of my interest was purely aesthetic. I was drawn to the beautiful cover of the book as well as to the title which invoked feelings of nostalgia derived from my childhood (and adulthood) love of all things 'The Wizard of Oz.'

I was surprised when I first saw the book--expecting it to be the size of a standard issue novel--stacked on the 'New Releases' table looking no bigger than a field guide. Do not let the small size fool you. Winman may have produced a slim little volume in her third novel but make no mistake, this book packs quite the punch.

Winman not only has a way with words and language--this is one of the most beautifully written novels that I have read in quite some time--but she also has a talent for writing in a style that I can only best describe as modern stream-of-consciousness. This is a book of memories.

I felt like as though the three main characters, although Annie may not necessarily be considered a main character depending on who you ask, were dear friends of mine. I loved each one of them for very different reasons but I loved them the most when they were together.

I think Winman did a brilliant job of portraying the plight of homosexual men as they struggle to entrust their sexual identities to other people but primarily within themselves, as some, like Ellis, simply cannot gather the courage to ever reveal, or to fully live, their true selves. Although acceptance is more prevalent these days as opposed to during the 80's and 90's as set in some of the scenes in the novel, homosexuality is still something that is viewed as an alternative lifestyle and the struggle, though slightly different, is still very real today.

Ellis and Michael are separated for the majority of their lives and they each experience individual hardships. Although they are apart, they are never far from one another's thoughts and the fact that what they desperately needed the most in all of those years of suffering in between were each other is tragic. Having said that, the true heartbreak occurs once they are finally reunited.

Aside from all of the feelings of love and heartache that this story stirs within the reader, Winman also places heavy emphasis on art. From 'The Sunflowers' painting by Van Gogh that beautifully graces the dust jacket of the book as well as the wall in Ellis and Michael's childhood home to the various letters and photographs that surface throughout the novel, the power of art and its expression prevails as one of the main themes of the book.

As soon as I arrived at the last page I had not even finished grieving for the end of the book before flipping back to the first page to begin the experience all over again. I absolutely adored this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Still Alice

“My yesterdays are disappearing, and my tomorrows are uncertain, so what do I live for? I live for each day. I live in the moment. Some tom...